‘The meat-free treat is back, and it’s time to celebrate’.
KFC’s meat-free burger will be back on menu across 73 UK outlets from August 24.
The international fast-food giant launched its vegan burger in January but discontinued it during the COVID-19 lockdown.
The £3.99 sandwich, which the brand sold a million in less than a month is made with a ‘bespoke Quorn fillet, coated in the Colonel’s iconic Original Recipe herbs and spices…served with vegan mayonnaise and crisp iceberg lettuce’ on a vegan soft glazed bun.
‘Time to unleash’
Commenting on the vegan burger relaunch, a KFC spokesperson said: “Our vegan and flexitarian fans were sadly denied their favorite meat-free treat during lockdown, but now it’s back, and it’s time to celebrate.
“Our kitchen teams have been working hard to adapt to the new safety measures in restaurants, but we reckon now is the right time to unleash one of our fan favourites.
“We can’t wait to reunite with our vegan friends – we’ve missed you!”
‘Poor animal welfare’
While KFC’s vegan options are gaining popularity, the fast-food chain’s first-ever chicken welfare report revealed poor animal welfare.
The report showed that more than a third of the chickens in the fast food’s supply chain in the UK and Ireland suffer from footpad dermatitis (FPD) characterized by painful inflammation and lesions on the feet.
Apart from inflammation, the report highlighted that one in 10 KFC chickens also suffer hock burn, a condition arising when ammonia from bird waste burns through the skin of the leg.
KFC in its bid to improve animal welfare standards has signed up to the NGO-led Better Chicken Commitment (BCC) and declared that suppliers should switch to slower growing breeds and also reduce stocking density on its supplier farms.
KFC branches selling the vegan burger
While more branches will be added in the future, the 73 stores that will initially sell the vegan burger include:
- Aberdeen – Union Street
- Aintree – Grand National Avenue
- Beeston – White Rose Shopping Centre
- Birchanger Green – M11 Services
- Birmingham – Great Bridge Retail Pk
- Birmingham – Martineau Place
- Bournemouth – The Triangle
- Braintree – Galleys Island
- Brighton – London Road
- Brighton – Western Road
- Bristol – Avonmeads Retail Park
- Bristol – Union Street
- Broadstairs – Westwood Retail Park
- Byker – Shields Road
- Camden – High Street
- Cardiff – Excelsior Road
- Cardiff – Queen Street
- Cobham Services
- Colliers Wood – Chapter Way
- Coventry – Tile Hill
- Croydon – Colonnades Leisure Park
- Derby – Foresters Leisure Park
- Dover – Honey Wood Retail Park
- Durham – City Retail Park
- Edinburgh – Meadowbank Retail Park
- Gateshead – Metro Centre Blue
- Glasgow – Argyle Street
- Glasgow – Pollokshaws Road
- Glasgow – Sauchiehall Street
- Gorleston on Sea – High Street
- Great Yarmouth – Regent Road
- Hamilton – Palace Grounds Retail Pk
- Hull – The Beacon
- Hulme – Greenheys Lane West
- Ipswich – Bury Road
- Kidderminster – Stourport Road
- Lancaster – Penny Street
- Leeds – Kirkstall Road
- Leicester – Narborough Road
- Lincoln – High Street
- Liverpool – Chaloner Street
- London – Kings Cross
- London – Southampton Row
- London Waterloo
- Manchester – Ashton Retail Park
- Manchester Arndale
- Manchester Fort Shopping Park
- Margate – High Street
- Northampton – Riverside Retail Park
- Norwich – Mile Cross Lane
- Nottingham – Milton Street
- Old Kent Road
- Plymouth – Marsh Mills
- Poole – Wessex Gate Retail Park
- Portsmouth – Pompey Centre
- Preston – Ashton on Ribble
- Purley – Purley Parade
- Romford – Colchester Road
- Sheffield – Barnsley Road
- Sheffield – Penistone Road
- Sheffield – West Street
- South Kensington – Gloucester Road
- South Mimms – M25 Services
- Southend – Greyhound Trading Park
- Stourbridge – St Johns Road
- Sunderland – Thomsen Retail Park
- Swansea – Morfa Shopping Park
- Swindon – Delta Park
- Tyburn – Kingsbury Road
- Walsall – Junction 10 M6 Services
- Wolverhampton – Penn Road Retail Park
- Wrexham – St Georges Crescent
Share this story to let others know about the KFC’s decision to reduce the vegan burger at its UK outlets.
Vegan culture, food, beauty & more
8 practical ways you get your loved ones to quit eating meat
- Mohsina Dodhiya
- 31st March 2023
Eating meat has long been a contentious issue, with people often having strong opinions on both sides of the discussion. For those who are committed to a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle, it can be difficult to watch their loved ones continue to consume meat. However, there are ways to have a constructive and persuasive conversation …
Continue reading “8 practical ways you get your loved ones to quit eating meat”
The Lord of the Rings franchise under fire after horse dies on set for the second time
- Mohsina Dodhiya
- 27th March 2023
PETA renews calls for Hollywood to replace animals with CGI Amazon’s television series The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power has come under fire after a horse died during rehearsals for a season 2 scene in the UK. The horse was one of about 30 on set that day and died of cardiac …
Continue reading “The Lord of the Rings franchise under fire after horse dies on set for the second time”
NEED A LAUGH?
All the quizzes you love to binge!
QUIZ: If you score 11/12 on this quiz, you’re a verified vegan food expert
- Marlon Farrugia
- 10th January 2020
How much vegan knowledge do you have stored away? Do you have to Google your way through a shopping trip, or do you have all the bad E-numbers memorised? Find out now with this quiz. Marlon Farrugia Marlon Farrugia is a freelance writer from Brighton. He has been a dedicated vegan for many years, and …
Continue reading “QUIZ: If you score 11/12 on this quiz, you’re a verified vegan food expert”
QUIZ: What is your perfect Vegan Halloween Costume?
- Marlon Farrugia
- 13th October 2019
Spook Season approaches. There will be ghosts, goblins, ghouls, and glucose. You need a costume, and you want to it to show off your personality, which means VEGAN. But what to choose? Take our quiz to find out your perfect outfit. Marlon Farrugia Marlon Farrugia is a freelance writer from Brighton. He has been a …
Continue reading “QUIZ: What is your perfect Vegan Halloween Costume?”
QUIZ: What kind of vegetable are you?
- Marlon Farrugia
- 26th September 2019
“If you were a vegetable, what kind would you be?” A question that has tormented humanity throughout the ages – until now. Read: QUIZ: If you score 19/20 on THIS quiz, you’re a Vegan God Marlon Farrugia Marlon Farrugia is a freelance writer from Brighton. He has been a dedicated vegan for many years, and …